Thursday, November 3, 2011

Human Nature

Human nature is a complex, wondrous, and utterly baffling thing.  During a recent trip, I encountered many genuinely lovely people.  People that were willing to go out of their way to help a complete stranger with little to no benefit to themselves as a result of their effort.  On the other hand, I also encountered people that were needlessly unpleasant towards an obvious newbie at an event.  I wonder what compels people to behave one way or the other.

Fragment of a bronze portrait of Marcus Aurelius at the Louvre courtesy of:

http://ookaboo.com/o/pictures/picture/12403958/Marcus_Aurelius_bronze_fragment_Louvre_P

In Meditations, the Roman emperor, Marcus Aurelius wrote, "to move from one unselfish act to another with God in mind. Only there [will you find] delight and stillness."(1)  The outward expression of disdain or concern must surely be a reflection of the inner struggle for contentment or peace.  John 13:34-35, ESV, says, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."  I can think of one opportunity that I missed recently to love as I have been loved.  Instead, I'm sad to say that I was short with some young, inquisitive girls when I could have...should have... slowed down to let His light shine.  I know that sooner or later, I will again fall short of acting unselfishly in my interactions with others.  I hope, though, that I am convicted each and every time to be better in the future.

1. source: http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/17212.Marcus_Aurelius